Saturday, December 31, 2011

It Was Only a Matter of Time...

I've finally done it. After nearly 4 years of quilting I've finally cut myself with a rotary blade (note: no pic on this post, LOL). I didn't go about it the traditional way...I've read of other quilters and their mishaps and have always been careful of keeping my fingers on the ruler, and never in the path of the cutting blade.

So how did it happen? Well, the other day I had left a pin on my cutting mat (bad, bad, bad!) and ran over it, nicking the blade. I used my Dritz sharpener and made it better, but today I'm doing a lot of cutting for the about.com New Year's Day Mystery Quilt and got tired of the little skips. I got out the sharpener again, this time making note of where the nick was so I could tell if it was getting better. I did several rotations on each side, with each grit. Almost good enough. Did a few more swipes and held it to the light. There was some debris on the edge (I suppose the shavings) and as I went to try to carefully clear that away with my index finger I wasn't paying attention to the rest of my fingers and managed to tap the blade ever so gently with my middle finger.

Good thing I don't faint at the sight of blood, LOL! All is well, the bleeding has stopped and bandage is firmly in place. Oh, and that evil blade is now in the Used Blades box and I got out a new one.

1 comment:

  1. Oh gosh! I am laughing but sorry! I totally have done the side of the tip slice. You are right. I think it is always just a matter of time. :)

    Glad it wasn't a hospital trip!

    ReplyDelete