Monday, September 29, 2014

Around the World Blog Hop

I  was invited to participate in the Around the World Blog Hop by Brigitte from the about.com forum. It sounded like fun, so I quickly said "sure!" Then I promptly forgot about inviting others to play along. Whoopsie!

I sent out three invitations on Saturday. One to Ami Krenzel, a friend and longarmer extraordinaire who just recently returned to the quilting world after a far too long hiatus. Another invite went to the (in)famous Pirate aka Shelley Rodgers, who I've had the pleasure of meeting several times as we attend the same retreat each year. I've even been to her house, and fed her chickens! The third invite went to my friend and almost neighbor Samantha who blogs more about her pets than her quilting but since her pets are absolutely adorable I really can't hold it against her ;)

Update: (as I'd typed this up in advance)...Ami and Samantha have replied that they'll participate, while Shelley had to decline. I sent another invite out to Suze, who also attends the same retreat. We both have an affection for painting and for working on things in smaller scale. I haven't heard back just yet, but am including her blog link here in case she says "yes" :) 

Lately I've been making blocks based on Bonnie Hunter's Jared Takes a Wife, a free pattern from Quiltville. But to put my own special twist on it, every fabric in this quilt is paisley! I've made 26 or 27 of them, and now they're aging while I decide how to set them. It's quite likely I'll not sash them, as I like how they look together...but I need to consider putting them on point or what to do for borders, etc. There are roughly 65 different paisley fabrics in the project so far, and I have over 50 more that I could use in borders or setting triangles.

Here's a (slightly out of focus, sorry) photo of the design wall. I haven't sorted them yet, so no need to wonder why it looks so muddy in the lower right section ;)

25 finished blocks, and two alternates not shown. These have not been laid out in the final pattern yet, I just sort of tossed them up on the design wall.
Here's a link to the full album on my Flickr page if you'd like to see the blocks/fabrics in detail.

Ok, now for the questions!

1. What am I working on?
The above project, Bonnie's 2013 Celtic Solstice Mystery (finally got the 49 blocks sewn to each other, still have to do borders), today I was quilting on a baby quilt for my friend Cassandra, and in my purse I have EPP Hexies that I'm using to create a cover/sleeve for my Kindle.

2. How does my work differ from others of its genre?
I'm not so sure that it does, but not many are as obsessed with paisley as I am ;)


3. Why do I write/create what I do?
I've always been interested in art, and over the years I've worked in many mediums including acrylic and beads (mostly jewelry). If I don't have a project to work on, I go a little stir crazy. This is one of the things I like so much about quilting...I can bring it with me and work on it almost anywhere that I have light!

4. How does my writing/creating process work?
I love to get inspired by things I see online or in shops. Other times it's just a particular fabric that I have to have...and then I see where things go. I love trying different color combinations out, and am particularly drawn to cool tones.

Ok, there you have it. I did it, Brigitte! Now I hope the others are willing victims I mean participants ;)

3 comments:

  1. Love your paisley quilt Misha. I think you must be the paisley queen! Thanks for tagging me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, Misha! Wonderful post! Thank you for participating. Can't wait to see what your taggees come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope to actually do a post for my tag this weekend. :) Maybe I will even at least show the quilt that is on my machine that i have yet to finish. You know I want to do the mystery quilt again. Sam

    ReplyDelete