Saturday, December 31, 2011
So how did it happen? Well, the other day I had left a pin on my cutting mat (bad, bad, bad!) and ran over it, nicking the blade. I used my Dritz sharpener and made it better, but today I'm doing a lot of cutting for the about.com New Year's Day Mystery Quilt and got tired of the little skips. I got out the sharpener again, this time making note of where the nick was so I could tell if it was getting better. I did several rotations on each side, with each grit. Almost good enough. Did a few more swipes and held it to the light. There was some debris on the edge (I suppose the shavings) and as I went to try to carefully clear that away with my index finger I wasn't paying attention to the rest of my fingers and managed to tap the blade ever so gently with my middle finger.
Good thing I don't faint at the sight of blood, LOL! All is well, the bleeding has stopped and bandage is firmly in place. Oh, and that evil blade is now in the Used Blades box and I got out a new one.
Friday, December 30, 2011
I suppose this isn't how they'll be used, but I liked laying them out this way for the photo. They're a little bit big, though, and I may need to fiddle with the seam allowance to get them down to size.
Edited to say: I think the red triangles are too big, period. The instrux said to cut them using the specialty ruler or to cut a 5 1/8" square and then cut diagonally. This makes the red triangle 3 5/8" tall by 7 1/4" wide. I know some of the points get cut off in the process, but I suspect that this is too large. If you have any answers for me, I'm happy to hear them! I posted on Bonni's blog comments a few hours ago but haven't heard back yet.
Thursday, December 29, 2011
I'm not sure yet how many blocks I'll need for my wall hanging sized version of this mystery, so I'm only doing a few of each part at this point. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!
Wednesday, December 28, 2011
Sunday, December 25, 2011
Almost forgot to make a present for Smokey! Thank goodness she likes it (of course, it's stuffed with catnip and batting scraps). The outside is fleece, as she can't eat a hole in it like she did with the earlier, cotton versions. Duplicate was made for her birth mommy, Sadie. Smokey quality control checked Sadie's too!
Friday, December 16, 2011
I added some embroidery stitches in silver and blue on a few of the interior snowflakes. The border is quilted in blue, following the lines of the trees (the ones that aren't silver).
There are a few beads and some silver spacers as well that can be seen in the detail pic.
The curved piecing technique is the same as I used on Huckleberry Swirl recently, and is from the book Vivacious Curvy Quilts by Dianne Hire.
Thursday, December 15, 2011
Just a little close up of a detail on a quilt I'm working on for the about.com swap hosted by Patti. I'll post a pic of the entire quilt this weekend. The theme this round was either Winter or Holiday.
Wednesday, December 14, 2011
Kind of posting and running this morning, but wanted to get up the picture of the first four triangles I've made for the 4th clue from Bonnie Hunter's Orca Bay Mystery quilt.
I'm really excited to see where this all is going!!
Smokey is anxious too. Below you can see she wanted to help get the foundation papers ready for the red (pink) string blocks.
Sunday, December 11, 2011
Sunday, December 4, 2011
My sewing room is a total nightmare but I'm working on it! Here are some "before" pictures that I took a few months ago. I started taking pictures of how it looks as you walk into the room, then panned from left to right. I did scoot over a bit to the right so you could see my computer station.
|Panning from left to right...|
|This is the center, my cutting station is under there somewhere|
|The right side: laptop, printer and "elevated Smokey sleeping platform" aka ironing board|
We are totally revamping the room, however, and I've already accomplished quite a bit. The big, teak piece of furniture in the first photo is now in the living room, and is completely clear of junk. I now have a big design wall that covers the entire surface of that north facing wall.
I've also removed most everything that's not craft or computer related. I hope to soon have a new, rolling cutting/pressing island. It will be 48" square, with shelves underneath. Half the top will be for cutting, the other half will be a pressing board. It will be nice and wide so I can press larger things more easily (including a cut of fabric from selvedge to selvedge!)
Smokey is not happy at all, as I've totally disrupted her routine and her napping areas. She showed her displeasure today by stomping around on the cutting table, and knocking things to the floor at will.
I did find a few treasures as I cleaned up, including a long-missing wrist brace (which I surely will need tomorrow at work!) some beading needles I've been searching for the last 2 weeks, and last but not least the title to my car, LOL.
I leave you with one last picture, facing the opposite direction (away from the computer) is my sewing station and a glimpse into the little walk in closet. As I clean things up I'll post pictures of the progress, but tonight I just leave you with the mess...if for no other reason than to make you feel 100x better about your own sewing room!
Saturday, December 3, 2011
Friday, December 2, 2011
Technique is from Dianne Hire's book Vivacious Curvy Quilts.
I really wanted a take-along project so I've been hand piecing these. Not a good idea, as it will be very difficult if not impossible to trim some of them down, LOL.
I will probably add bits and pieces/wedges to them by machine to bring them up a little in size to minimize the need to trim. (Two of the blocks on the right side are not actually sewn yet.) It will be an interesting puzzle, that's for sure!